Want to work for the nation’s largest grassroots peace organization?
Check out our current job and internship opportunities below. Peace Action provides all staff with a congenial work atmosphere, opportunities for professional growth and the chance to make a difference in our world. Peace Action is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland, CA)
Contact: Seth Lehr, Senior Director, Development and Major Gifts
Deadline: Open until filled
A development associate engages our major donors by personally presenting our work, our strategies, our stories and our history, with the purpose of strengthening their identification with and financial commitment to the organization and its cause. In addition, we seek to expand our support base and political clout through their networks and personal contacts.
The ideal candidate possesses strong interpersonal skills, and a great passion to build momentum for the advancement of a foreign policy rooted in cooperation and human rights. The associate should have a deep commitment to acquiring knowledge on peace and justice issues (with particular attention relating to U.S. foreign policy), and an ability to inspire others.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for making formal and informal presentations to our major donors about the work of Peace Action
- Responsible for meeting monthly fundraising & visit budget
- Responsible for the renewal and investment of assigned sponsors-with the goal of significantly increasing their commitment to Peace Action
- Responsible for requesting and following up on leads from current development donors
- Responsible for assisting in existing or new development programs.
- Responsible for planning and executing house parties and other events
- Responsible for timely dissemination of political, promotional, and outreach materials to sponsors including letters, updates, action alerts, emails, holiday cards, and other materials
- Responsible for maintaining current giving and contact records on all donors
- Responsible for timely deposits, follow-up, and recordkeeping on all pledges, outstanding and fulfilled
- Responsible for ongoing coordination of major gifts work with field and phone outreach programs
Training and Program Integration
- Responsible for ongoing personal education relating to all current program work, the status of legislation, the ongoing reading and sharing of news items relevant to our issues and of interest to sponsors
- Must attend annual program, membership, staff advancement & cadre meetings
- Position includes periodic travel to other Peace Action offices for the purpose of training and fundraising
- Proven phone and/or field outreach and fundraising skills
- Strong attention to detail and systems-oriented
- Strong writing skills
- Self-motivated and self-accountable
- Strong time management skills
- Strong teamwork skills including the ability to solve work challenges in a relaxed and collegial manner
- Desire to develop in the position and increase responsibilities
- Commitment to grassroots organizing and a diverse, supportive & challenging work atmosphere
- Experience with Filemaker Pro, Excel, and Word helpful
- California driver’s license required
- Starting annual salary $35,000+ DOE
- Full health and dental insurance coverage
- 3 weeks paid vacation/year to start, 4 weeks after the completion of 2 full years worked
- 12 paid holidays a year
- 12 paid sick days a year
- Pension program
- Paid sabbaticals
- Maternity/paternity leave after one year
Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ Strongly Encouraged to Apply
To apply, send a cover letter and current resume to:
Seth Lehr, Senior Director, Development and Major Gifts
Phone Campaign Organizer
San Francisco Bay Area (Oakland, CA)
Contact: Gabriel Showers
The Peace Action Phone Campaign is a fantastic opportunity for anyone who’s passionate about political organizing to gain the basic skills and experience needed to pursue a career in non-profit work or political advocacy, as well as opportunities to participate in some of our political work and advancement within Peace Action. While knowledge of our issues and fundraising/outreach experience is preferred, it is not necessary.
As a membership-based organization, it is important for our members to be engaged with us, both practically and financially. Our day-to-day calling consists of issue/organizational updates, fundraising and calls to take political actions. We phone consistently throughout the week, offering both daytime and evening phoning hours. Organizers create their own weekly schedules from the shifts offered, making the hours very flexible and convenient.
To inquire or apply: Please contact Gabriel Showers using the contact information above. Please include a brief summation of why you are personally interested in Peace Action and the work we do. Women, People of Color, and LGBTQ+ people are strongly encouraged to apply.
Peace Action Scoville Fellowship
Washington, DC-area (Silver Spring, MD)
Contact: Paul Kawika Martin
The Herbert Scoville Jr. Peace Fellowship, established in 1987, is a competitive national fellowship program that provides college graduates with the opportunity to gain a Washington perspective on key issues of peace and security. Twice yearly, the Fellowship’s Board of Directors selects a group of outstanding individuals to spend six to nine months in Washington. Supported by a stipend, the Fellows serve as full-time junior staff members at the participating organization of their choice. The program also arranges meetings for the Fellows with policy experts. Many former Scoville Fellows have gone on to pursue graduate degrees in international relations and related fields and taken prominent positions in the field of peace and security with public-interest organizations, the Federal Government, and in academia. To date, 120 Fellowships have been awarded.
To apply: read instructions at the Scoville Fellowship application page here.